[ofa-general] Code drop for OFED 1.4

Olaf Kirch olaf.kirch at oracle.com
Mon Jul 28 05:25:31 PDT 2008

Hi,

I have one more code drop for RDS in OFED 1.4. It fixes the backport
problems with RDS, which prevented it from working on anything but
mainline.

As usual, please pull from
http://www.openfabrics.org/git/?p=~okir/ofed_1_4/linux-2.6.git code-drop-20080728

sysctl backport: fix CTL_UNNUMBERED
  Defining CTL_UNNUMBERED as 0 in older kernels tells the sysctl code
  not to register proc files for these controls. Instead, we use -2
  instead.

sysctl backport fixes
  The new sysctl backport header could lead to kernel oopses
  because of two mistakes I made. The first problem is that
  we have to allocate two ctl_table structs per patch entry
  because each is a null terminated array. The other is that
  this path must remain allocated for the lifetime of the
  registration - we must free these arrays at unregister time.

  This patch fixes both issues.

RDS: temporarily revert sk_alloc change
  The sk_alloc change in rds_create, from commit
  f122cf9f788336c793823d14c16a8fe6803ea714, was premature. It
  broke compilation on older kernels :-(

  Revert this change, then clean up the code, then do it right.

RDS: clean up old sk_alloc compat code
  There's some backward compat code that tries to make
  things work on kernels that still have a sock->sk_protinfo
  field (rather than overloading struct socket).

  I do hope that the whole KERNEL_HAS_PROTO_REGISTER mess
  can go away, but I will leave that to someone else.

  Instead, this patch restructures the code just a little to
  get rid of some KERNEL_HAS_PROTO_REGISTER ifdefs in rds_create.

RDS: fix sock creation backport issue
  This patch should fix the use of namespaces with sk_alloc in
  rds_create for good. It's still somewhat ugly, but I didn't
  find a more elegant way to support this.

RDS: Update module info
  This patch updates the driver version to 4.0 (to match OFED 1.4),
  as well as the driver release date.
  I also added myself as MODULE_AUTHOR, even though there probably
  won't be too many RDS patches from me after this one...

Kudos to the people I worked with on this, I really appreciated your
input, feedback and support. Enjoy!

If you need to reach me in the future, please contact me at
okir at lst.de or (starting august 1st) okir at suse.de.

Olaf
--
Olaf Kirch  |  --- o --- Nous sommes du soleil we love when we play
okir at lst.de |    / | \   sol.dhoop.naytheet.ah kin.ir.samse.qurax