[ofa-general] device attributes

Tom Tucker tom at opengridcomputing.com
Wed Jun 4 08:02:18 PDT 2008

On Wed, 2008-06-04 at 09:28 -0500, Steve Wise wrote:
> Roland/All,
>
> Should the device attributes (for instance max_send_wr) be the max
> supported by the HW or the max supported by the OS or something else?

Something else.

> For instance:  Chelsio's HW can handle very large work queues, but since
> Linux limits the size of contiguous dma coherent memory allocations, the
> actual limits are much smaller.

Basing the limit on an OS resource seems arbitrary and dangerous.
Applications using advertised adapter resource limits will unnecessarily
consume the maximum.

>   Which should I be using for the device
> attributes?

Arbitrary knee jerk == 512.

However, surveying the current app usage as well as the other
manufacturers advertised limits will make it less arbitrary.

> Also, the chelsio device uses a single work queue to implement the SQ
> and RQ abstractions.  So the max SQ depth depends on the RQ depth and
> vice versa.  This leads to device max attributes that aren't that useful.

So the "real" limit is the HW WQ max and therefore max SQ = HW WQ max -
RQ max?  Setting RQ and SQ to 512 solves this "problem."

> I'm wondering what application writes should glean from these attributes...

I guess you mean "application writer"?

Here's what I suggest:

- Set the RQ and SQ max to some reasonable default limit (e.g. 512).
- Add an escape hatch by providing module options to override
  the default max.

Tom