[ofa-general] recv with rdma immediate completion questions

Steve Wise swise at opengridcomputing.com
Fri Jun 6 10:46:44 PDT 2008

Roland Dreier wrote:
>  > Why is there a work completion opcode IB_WC_RECV_RDMA_WITH_IMM -and- a
>  > work completion flag IB_WC_WITH_IMM indicating the immediate data is
>  > present in the WC?
>
> Off the top of my head ... because RDMA operations usually generate no
> completion on the target side, so you need some opcode for when one
> comes in with immediate data.
>
> I'd have to check what the IB verbs spec says about this case (obviously
> iWARP doesn't have to worry about immediate data)

What I was thinking was that:

completion with IB_WC_RECV + IB_WC_WITH_IMM is the same information as
completion wtih IB_WC_RECV_RDMA_WITH_IMM + IB_WC_WITH_IMMM.

And I was wondering if there was a good reason for this, and whether we
need both an opcode -and- a flag for recv completions that are due to an
ingress SEND_WITH_INV...

Seems like you only either need the opcode or the flag, but not both...

Steve.