[ofa-general] Re: [RFC] OpenSM and IPv6 Scalability Proposal

Jason Gunthorpe jgunthorpe at obsidianresearch.com
Sat Jun 7 22:44:26 PDT 2008

On Sat, Jun 07, 2008 at 06:03:17AM -0700, Hal Rosenstock wrote:

> 2. Add in support for overloading MLIDs. On the configuration side, a
> number of additional options would be added to consolidate_ipv6_snm_req.
> These include the number of MLIDs to compress down to (default 16),
> a multicast group (MGID) base address and (full MGID) mask. this would
> default to 0xff1Z601bXXXX0000 : 0x00000001ffYYYYYY where Z is the scope,
> XXXX is the P_Key, and YYYYYY is the last 24 bits of the port guid (
> the YYYYYY bits would be masked out by default). This is what the
> current workaround uses for collapsing the multicast groups.

When I wrote originally I was imagining having a list, like:

       MGID/PREFIX MLIDS
ff11:601b::/32      4
ff1e:601b::/32      4
ff00::/8            128     # Everything else

Please, please use IPv6 notation for this (and all other GIDs). Since
the addressing scheme is taken from IPv6 the interesting bits align
sensibly.. The double 64 bit number notation used in osm is horrible,
and should be killed off :)

inet_pton/inet_ntop w/ AF_INET6 can be used, and is compatible with
the existing GID structure.

I would recommend a longest prefix bits scheme rather than a mask for
administator sanity. The IPv6 addressing scheme that MGID/GID borrows
from was designed to work like this, and administrators will be
familiar with the concept. If you feel the complexity of non-prefix
matching is needed then it is easier on administrators to copy the
existing idom used in ACLs and use a two level label/property scheme:

Table 1:
       MGID/PREFIX  GROUP NAME
ff11:601b::/32      IPV6-SNM
ff1e:601b::/32      IPV6-SNM
ff1e:601b:89:/48    IPV6-SNM-PKEY_89
ff00::/8            OTHERS

Table 2:
       NAME        MLIDS
  IPV6-SNM         4
  IPV6_SNM-PKEY_89 128
  OTHERS           128

But I think that is probably overkill, unless you know of other heavy
multicast users besides SNM.

Also note that a longest prefix match data structure can likely be
re-used for future work on IB routing, along with this use for MGID
compaction.

> The criteria for overloading MLIDs includes any group parameters that
> need to be in common (e.g. rate. MTU, perhaps PKey (see below), etc.).

It seems reasonable to me that every MTU+rate gets a seperate
allocation space, each limited to the configured size.

> As PKey is part of the MGID, does this need to be addressed (and if
> so) how ?

I don't think pkey needs special treatment - prefix matching takes care
of it. If you feel seperate allocations for each pkey may someday be
necessary then having a table scheme rather than a single value takes
care of it nicely.

Regards,
Jason