[ofa-general] SDP and epoll vs select()

Bradley Kite bradley.kite at gmail.com
Mon Jun 9 12:09:17 PDT 2008

On 08/06/2008, Dotan Barak <dotanba at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi.
>

>  Bradley Kite wrote:
>
> > Hi all,
> >
> > Currently my application uses the Linux kernel's epoll interface for
> > socket event notifications. From what I've read it looks like the SDP
> > library only works with select()/poll() - is this actually the case or
> > will epoll work too?
> >

>  I reviewed the libsdp code and epoll is not implemented in this library.
>

>  Dotan

Hi Dotan.

I too had looked in libsdp and found no epoll implementation. I
thought I'd ask tho, because it could be that the direct
implementation of SDP (by using AF_INET_SDP for socket() calls) causes
epoll event notifications within the kernel itself - ie without the
need to use libsdp.

I've looked in the ofa_kernel package and found no reference to epoll
so it doesn't look like its implemented there either, but don't know
if I'm looking in the right place.

For now I think I will be restrained to using TCP over infiniband
because I don't like the idea of mixing epoll with select() in my
applications event loop. But still, epoll() coupled with AF_INET_SDP
would be better.

Many thanks
--
Brad.