[ofa-general] Multicast traffic generates Bad P_Key trap in SM when working in partial member setup

Hal Rosenstock hrosenstock at xsigo.com
Thu Jun 12 04:39:48 PDT 2008

On Thu, 2008-06-12 at 14:08 +0300, Olga Shern (Voltaire) wrote:

> On 6/12/08, Hal Rosenstock <hrosenstock at xsigo.com> wrote:
>         Hi Olga,
>
>         On Thu, 2008-06-12 at 09:46 +0300, Olga Shern wrote:
>         > Hi All,
>         >
>         >
>         >
>         > We have found something that seems like Infiniband Spec
>         hole,
>
>         What's the spec hole ?
>
> According to the Infiniband spec - partial member cannot "talk" with
> partial member only with full member.
> Therefore if partial member sending MC packet - all other partial
> members of this partition will generate BAD PKEY trap.
>  It means that the behavior that we see is according to Infiniband
> Spec - but very problematic

Originally, multicast groups were all full member only and more recently
was this extended to allow partial members and this was missed. A
comment should be filed against the spec on this.

>         > This issue is system issue that prevents from partial P_Key
>         setup to
>         > go into production.
>
>         Indeed :-(
>
>         > Short Setup & test description:
>         > ------------------------------------------
>         > * Node A: P_Key XXX (full member)
>         > * Node B, C, D, E, F: P_Key XXx (partial member)
>         >
>         > 1. Send ping from B -> A : ping is OK
>         > 2. Send ping from C -> A : ping is OK
>         > 3. Send ping from B -> C  : no ping also OK
>         > * Get traps Bad P_Key in SM - from all HCA in the fabric
>         both for
>         > test 1 & 2 (one time) and also for test 3 (all the time).

What does all the time mean ? Does this mean with one test 3 ping, the
traps are repeated ? If so, at what rate ?

>         > Probably the ARP request that is MC traffic generate the
>         trap in HCA,
>         > for test 1
>         > & 2 we have only one ARP but for test 3 we send ARP all the
>         time
>         > because
>         > we do not get any ARP reply.
>         >
>         > * The trap number SM get is 257 (HCA trap) if we will do
>         P_Key
>         > switch enforcement we will probably get 259
>
>         Is this with OpenSM or VSM ?
>
> We tested it with Voltaire SM but it should behave the same with
> OpenSM.

That's likely but I'm not sure yet.

>         -- Hal
>
>         > * We get trap also from the originator of the MC traffic
>         even
>         > though that receive switch relay error counter is increased
>         (when out
>         > port==in port), the switch does not drop the packet ?

The implementation of that counter is broken and occurs "normally". The
increment of this counter is relatively meaningless :-(

>         > Additional questions/issues:
>         > * Do we have a way to suppress port traps from SMA ?? i.e.
>         that
>         > the port will not generate traps that can "kill the SM" - as
>         its look
>         > this is bug in the spec where we can't send any mc traffic
>         (even ARP)
>         > when we have partial members and we do not have a way to
>         suppress the
>         > traps.

All the SM can do is TrapRepress.

>         > * What will happen in the HCA when we get many traps (mc
>         packets
>         > from many nodes) and they need to keep all events until SM
>         will
>         > acknowledge?  - Is there limitation in the number of on-
>         going
>         > traps (any HCA specific issues)?

Assuming you mean events from which traps are generated, I think this is
left as an implementation dependent detail in terms of the spec. An
implementation needs to take care not to lose certain events; others
like this aren't critical but that's left to the specific SMA
implementation.

-- Hal