[ofa-general] opensm routing

Ira Weiny weiny2 at llnl.gov
Mon Jun 16 09:58:40 PDT 2008

On Mon, 16 Jun 2008 09:47:51 -0700
Hal Rosenstock <hrosenstock at xsigo.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 2008-06-16 at 09:46 -0700, Ira Weiny wrote:
> > On Mon, 16 Jun 2008 09:38:58 -0700
> > Hal Rosenstock <hrosenstock at xsigo.com> wrote:

> > > RDMA CM does address resolution based on IP addresses and an SL can be
> > > associated with the outgoing IPoIB interface.
> > >

> > Right, but does it _have_ to be the associated?  I thought not.
>
> Do you want a different SL from that ?

Maybe, some MPI's may use the RDMACM as well (I think some already do).
Therefore if you want Lustre and MPI to be on different SL's at least one of
them will have to change from the "inherited" IPoIB SL.

> There's a QoS syntax but I'm not
> sure how Lustre plays into that.

Just to be clear this is only a "thought experiment" at this point.  We have
not tried to do any of this for real, yet.  ;-)  We realized there might be
many changes to various configurations and codes which may need to be done.
But knowing that I/O is less dependent on latency than MPI it seems to follow
that overall system performance could benefit from having MPI run at a higher
priority than Lustre/NFS etc.

Ira