[ofa-general] Is response time of GMP is more than SMP

Hal Rosenstock hrosenstock at xsigo.com
Tue Jun 24 08:47:09 PDT 2008

Hi Sumit,

On Tue, 2008-06-24 at 14:21 +0530, Sumit Gaur - Sun Microsystem wrote:
> Hi,
> I am using OFED 2.5.*
                  ^^^^^
                  1.2.5.* ?

>  and observing that my SMI requests are serving very fast
> and response time is very less on the contrary my GSI requests were served in
> more time and response time sometime goes more than 2 sec. Any light on this
> different behavior.

What are the specific GS requests which are slow in response ? Are they
compute intensive ?

In general, there are a few possibilities (which can cause this). SM
traffic is VL15 whereas GS traffic is on a data VL (usually VL0 in most
subnets).

Some possibilities are:
1. Timeout/retry being hit for some GS traffic (GS request or response
lost/corrupted)
2. Data VL busy (is there anything else utilizing VL0 ?)
3. CPU busy (what other things are competing for CPU on the responder ?)

-- Hal