[ofa-general] SRP target sporadic behaviour with Solaris, VMware

Daniel Pocock daniel at pocock.com.au
Tue Mar 11 16:03:31 PDT 2008

Hi,

I've recently set up the SRP target module on Linux (2.6.22).

Trying to access the target from various initiators (Fedora, Debian,
Solaris 10, VMWare ESX 3.5) gives mixed results.

The Linux clients, despite having limited configuration tools, worked
immediately.

I've opened a thread on the Sun forums to discuss the Solaris 10 issue:

http://forum.java.sun.com/thread.jspa?threadID=5273631

On VMware:
- I had to reboot my new VMware ESX server a few times before it found
my 500GB target.
- VMWare completely rejects a target if it doesn't have a partition
table - I ran parted on Linux and then VMWare was OK
- Also, the messages in VMWare gave me the impression it would clobber
the whole volume, rather than just a single partition - so to avoid the
possibility of losing my other partitions, I made a special target
representing the intended partition rather than the entire volume.  Now
I have a VMware partition table nested within a partition.
- VMware only seems to show one target at a time - I had created a few
test targets, but I could only see one of them.  Is this what other
people see?  ibsrpdm on the other Linux hosts shows all the targets.

Any suggestions?

Regards,

Daniel