[ofa-general] SRP target sporadic behaviour with Solaris, VMware

Vu Pham vuhuong at mellanox.com
Wed Mar 12 15:11:40 PDT 2008

> I've recently set up the SRP target module on Linux (2.6.22).

How did you set up your target (scsi pass-thru, blockio,
fileio, nullio)?

> On VMware:
> - I had to reboot my new VMware ESX server a few times before it found
> my 500GB target.

What is your fabric configuration (switch, which SM, which
HCA, fw version)?
Do you see any *weird* srp message in vmware /var/log/vmkernel?

> - VMWare completely rejects a target if it doesn't have a partition
> table - I ran parted on Linux and then VMWare was OK

It does not make sense. Once again I need to see how you
setup and expose your luns on srp target.

> - Also, the messages in VMWare gave me the impression it would clobber
> the whole volume, rather than just a single partition - so to avoid the
> possibility of losing my other partitions, I made a special target
> representing the intended partition rather than the entire volume.  Now
> I have a VMware partition table nested within a partition.
> - VMware only seems to show one target at a time - I had created a few
> test targets, but I could only see one of them.  Is this what other
> people see?  ibsrpdm on the other Linux hosts shows all the targets.
>
> Any suggestions?

If you have several srp targets running blockio or fileio
modes and export the same block device names (ex: all srp
targets export /dev/cciss/c1d0 device ie. echo "open vdisk0
/dev/cciss/c1d0 BLOCKIO" >  /proc/scsi_tgt/vdisk/vdisk) then
they end up to have same lun UID. Vmware will *correctly*
see single lun with multipaths to it instead of multiple
luns of multiple targets. To correct this you need to load
scst_vdisk with different scsi_vdisk_ID for different srp
targets exporting the same device names in the fabric

srp target 1: modprobe scsi_vdisk scst_vdisk_ID=1
srp target 2: modprobe scsi_vdisk scst_vdisk_ID=2

If you already create datastor on this lun you need to
destroy it; otherwise, vmware won't see the datastor
(because of different scst_vdisk_ID will generate different
lun UID and vmware's datastor relies mainly on lun UID)

-vu