[ofa-general] AMP/RDMA performance expectation

Talpey, Thomas Thomas.Talpey at netapp.com
Fri Mar 14 04:53:17 PDT 2008

At 03:36 AM 3/11/2008, yangdong wrote:

>Hello! I implemented a message passing subsystem -- AMP for our cluster
>file system--DCFS3,
>I want AMP to run over Infiniband, I designed it in kernel(verbs).
>when client writing file, my protocol is implemented by RDMA WRITE, and
>reading file by RDMA
>READ, but perf of AMP is less than my expectation. Single thread (1t)
>read is 215MB/s, 4t is 340MB/s.
>And I see that the read file perf of NFS/RDMA is close to 600MB/s (1t).

NFS/RDMA is not single threaded. The client has several ways to keep multiple
I/Os active, among them use of a kernel rpc state machine, enlisting application
threads performing synch i/o, use of kernel helpers (rpciod's), the filesystem buffer
cache, and the RPC slot table. Also, its protocol supports credits and RDMA
scatter/gather, and is tuned to optimize server transfers.

BTW, NFS/RDMA achieves much more than 600MB/s. On DDR IB, for example,
Sandia's testing achieved over double that.

Just some ideas, since you give so little information about your implementation
it's hard to conclude anything.

Tom.