[ofa-general] some comments/clarifications on ipoib/opensm re qos

Yevgeny Kliteynik kliteyn at mellanox.co.il
Tue Mar 25 01:54:57 PDT 2008

Or Gerlitz wrote:
> Yevgeny Kliteynik wrote:
>> This doc describes OFED components (SDP, RDS, SRP, IPoIB, iSER),
>> their support of QoS annex, and a way for a QoS manager (OpenSM,
>> which is part of OFED)
> all these components are being worked out by bunch of developers and
> maintainers, ofed is just the framework for temporal distribution of
> them.
>> I really don't have any special sentiments for file name, but
>> is QoS_in_OFED.txt wrong?
>> You probably meant something like QoS_architecture.txt?
> yes.
>>
>>> OK, so the rule is valid, but would you agree that the word "ipoib"
>>> adds nothing to the rule?
>>
>> Agree, it's just an alias.
>> 'ipoib : <SL>' is useful
>> 'any, pkey 0xNNNN' is useful too.
>> 'ipoib, pkey 0xNNNN' is just for better readability of the matching
>> rules.
> When the user wants to posses his QoS management on partitions (i.e
> associate SL with PKEY provided in a path query) the word ipoib is
> confusing, this those rules apply to all other ulps that issue path
> queries (sdp,iser,lustre,rnfs,srp,ipoib,you named it).

OK, then perhaps "any, pkey 0xNNNN" and "ipoib, pkey 0xNNNN" should have
different meaning, and should be treated differently by the QoS manager.
Let's look at the IPoIB (the real IPoIB, not the keyword).
If I understood your previous main correctly, then IPoIB gets its SL from
the multicast group only right? So what kind of PR queries does IPoIB do?
Only to MGID? Suppose A wants to send something over IPoIB to B. How will
it use the right SL? Does it take it from the mcast group, or does it do
a PR query to SM for the dgid of node B (using the right pkey), and takes
the SL that os returned in the PR responce?

-- Yevgeny