[ofa-general] infiniband multicast (libibverbs)

Kelly Burkhart kelly at tradebotsystems.com
Tue Nov 4 13:37:36 PST 2008

I do not.  I noticed this with the post_buf and poll_buf variables
in pingpong_context, but they're not used in send_lat.  I assumed
they only replied to RDMA.

Do I need to be using volatile anywhere with UD send?

> > I suspect that there is some trick to more reliable
> multicast messaging
> > that I don't know about.  Does anyone have hints for
> multicasting high
> > message rates with a small percentage of drops or misses?
> >
> Do you have worst results than the ib_send_bw.c?
> Can you try to send unicast messages (with minimum changes) to see if
> the issue is related to multicast send?
>
> Anyway, you should remember that multicast messages are being
> sent over
> UD QPs and messages can be dropped.

I solved (or hid) my problem by recv-ing into multiple buffers.  I do
realize that multicast messages can be dropped, but I want to know what
level of one-way reliability and message rate I can achieve.

Since I was receiving all messages before, I don't think my results
were different than ib_send_bw.  My problem was not realizing that my
buffer could be clobbered prior to me polling the cq for the work
completion.

Thanks,

-K