[ofa-general] opensm - can/cannot set alternate default pkey?

Hal Rosenstock hal.rosenstock at gmail.com
Wed Nov 12 14:46:18 PST 2008

Hi Al,

On Wed, Nov 12, 2008 at 2:26 PM, Al Chu <chu11 at llnl.gov> wrote:
> Before I run off and write a patch I shouldn't, I thought I'd ask.

I don't think there's a need (see below).

> In 10.9.1.2 of the spec, it states, "The P_Key value of 0xFFFF shall
> represent the default partition key."

Default in this sense is referring to the default partition (and it is
not changeable in the same sense other defaults are).

All end ports _must_ be a member of the default partition either as a
full or limited member. This is needed for SA communication. See p.882
Table 185 P_KeyTable (initialization) for one citation on this. There
are others in the spec.

> (I couldn't find the glossary in the spec about what "shall" means, but
> I assume it means "must" or "required" like RFCs.)

Yes.

> Does this mean that a P_Key of 0xFFFF must be in the P_Key_Table?

Either 0xffff or 0x7fff must be in the P_KeyTable of every end port.

> Currently, it seems that in opensm, no matter how you write your
> partition.conf file, 0xFFFF will always be the P_Key_Table.  This is
> because opensm inserts this in it's internal list by default, and
> nothing (as far as I can find) can remove it/get rid of it out of that
> internal list.

That's being a full member of the default partition. You should be
able to change this to be a limited member of the default partition
too.

-- Hal