[ofa-general] srp_daemon and partitions.

James Beal james_ at catbus.co.uk
Sat Nov 15 02:36:35 PST 2008

We are currently investigating infiniband and we are so far very
impressed with the ease of use of the OFED stack. However we seem to
have run into an issue with the srp disc discovery.

We wish to protect the storage from unwanted use. In a fibre channel
san environment this would be done in two ways, firstly presentation
( configuring the controller as to which luns each WWN can access )
and secondly zoning which is configuring the switches that make the
fabric as to which ports can communicate. If we can't do this it would
restrict IB to a single use eg as a replacement for fibre switches.

I can't see how to specify to either srp_daemon or ibsrpdm which pkey
to use when discovering discs and a quick look at the source code
doesn't inspire confidence as I can see pkey=ffff as a string in the
code.

I did try the following:

One host with one adapter communicating with DDN controller, with no
access control ( pkeys )

The correct lun information was discovered.

root at isg-dev6:~# ibsrpdm -c
id_ext
=
50001ff3000501f0
,ioc_guid
=
50001ff3000501f0
,dgid
=fe8000000000000050001ff4000501f0,pkey=ffff,service_id=f0010500f31f0050

Access control was reasserted, and can be seen as the lun can no
longer be discovered.

root at isg-dev6:~# ibsrpdm -c

The device was created by "hand"  with the pkey set to the correct value

echo
"id_ext
=
50001ff3000501f0
,ioc_guid
=
50001ff3000501f0
,dgid
=
fe8000000000000050001ff4000501f0
,pkey=1001,service_id=f0010500f31f0050" > /sys/class/infiniband_srp/
srp-mthca0-1/add_target

And the device can be seen.

multipath -ll
360001ff001f0dbac01000800000a6a6cdm-0 DDN     ,S2A 9900
[size=5.2T][features=0][hwhandler=0]
\_ round-robin 0 [prio=1][enabled]
  \_ 5:0:0:1 sdb 8:16  [active][ready]

So the issue appears to be with ibsrpdm/srp_daemon not allowing the
pkey to be set

The following message suggests the same.

user_mad: process ibsrpdm did not enable P_Key index support.
user_mad:   Documentation/infiniband/user_mad.txt has info on the new
ABI.