[ofa-general] Bare minimum install

Christopher Tanner christopher.tanner at gatech.edu
Thu Oct 2 14:06:30 PDT 2008

All -

I have been handed a cluster that has Mellanox Infiniband cards and
Ubuntu 8.04 and I've been trying to install the necessary software to
get it to communicate. I think I need to start from ground zero as I
have no idea how Infiniband works and what is / isn't necessary for my
system.

Assuming I have absolutely no Infiniband software on my system (i.e.
fresh OS install):
a) What OFED packages are absolutely necessary for my MPI applications
(i.e. LS-DYNA) to use IB using MVAPICH2 or OpenMPI?

b) Will installing the Infiniband software on an NFS mount decrease
its usefulness? (assuming IPoIB is not setup) Would it be best to
install the Infiniband software on the local drive of each node?

c) What OFED packages are necessary to setup IPoIB? For a small
cluster (16 nodes), is IPoIB even worth the trouble?

d) Is there a document that describes, in simple terms, how Infiniband
works so that I know why I'm installing certain packages and how to
manually configure the system? (Automated install doesn't work with
Ubuntu)

For those who have helped me in the past, thank you. I'm starting
again from ground zero since everything I tried beforehand didn't work.

Chris Tanner
Space Systems Design Lab
Georgia Institute of Technology
christopher.tanner at gatech.edu