***SPAM*** Re: [ofa-general] Allowing end-users to query for fabric information

Hal Rosenstock hal.rosenstock at gmail.com
Mon Oct 6 09:00:17 PDT 2008

On Mon, Oct 6, 2008 at 11:27 AM, Mike Heinz <michael.heinz at qlogic.com> wrote:
> Well,
>
> I guess that's my point - I'd like to be able to create tools for
> non-root users that would collect interesting information about the
> fabric. As far as I know, this should be a safe operation, because the
> SA should be protected by the m-key - but it seems that the policy in
> OFED is that this is not a safe operation and access must be tightly
> controlled.

Do you mean SM or SA ?

Subverting the SM is not a good idea. The SM is the central point for
setting up SM attributes. Policy needs to be instilled through the SM.

There are some SA attributes which are somewhat dangerous too as they
are essentially writable as well from an end node.

Furthermore, most fabrics do not utilize MKey protection so the second
level is not there yet and only the most primitive form of this is
available within some SMs.

> While it's a trivial task to patch OFED to give non-root users access to
> the /dev/infiniband/umad* devices, I certainly don't want to provide
> tools to my users that create security holes in the fabric.

IMO this would do that although I would phrase it slightly differently.

-- Hal