[ofa-general] SRP/mlx4 interrupts throttling performance

Cameron Harr cameron at harr.org
Mon Oct 6 15:00:47 PDT 2008

Cameron Harr wrote:
>> This is still too high. Considering that each CS is about 1
>> microsecond you can estimate how many IOPS's it costs you.
>
> Dropping scst_threads down to 2, from 8, with 2 initiators, seems to
> make a fairly significant difference, propelling me to a little over
> 100K IOPs and putting the CS rate around 2:1, sometimes lower. 2
> threads gave the best performance compared to 1, 4 and 8.

Just as a status update, I've gotten my best performance with
scst_threads=3 on 2 initiators, and using a separate QP for each drive
an initiator is writing to. I'm getting pretty consistent 112-115K IOPs
using two initiators, each writing with 2 processes to the same 2
physical targets, using 512B blocks. Adding the second initiator only
bumps me up by about 20K IOPs, but as all the CPUs are pegged around
99%, I'll take that as a bottleneck. Also, as a note from Vlad's advice,
the CS rate is now around 70K/s on 115K IOPs, so it's not too bad.
Interrupts (where this thread started), are around 200K/s - a lot higher
than I thought they'd go, but I'm not complaining. :)

Thanks for the help.
Cameron