***SPAM*** Re: [ofa-general] Bonding fail over not working

Or Gerlitz or.gerlitz at gmail.com
Tue Oct 21 13:49:44 PDT 2008

Pradeep Satyanarayana <pradeeps at linux.vnet.ibm.com> wrote:

> I downloaded a recent version of Roland's git tree and tried IPoIB bonding.
> Fail over does not seem to be working at all. I have tried OFED 1.3.2 on a
> Rhel5 derivative and that (fail over) worked as expected.
>
> Is this a known issue? Given that OFED 1.4 will be in sync with main line
> kernel, is this an issue to be addressed in OFED 1.4 too? Has any one else
> tried this out recently? My impression is that all bonding patches were
> already upstream.

I just tried ipoib/bonding with mainline kernel 2.6.27 and it works fine, as
expected, see below. Can you repeat the exact sequence and see if it works
for you, or send the settings that break bonding/ipoib on your system? I
didn't use network scripts but this should be the issue if you use the
directives that come with the ib-bonding package.

$ modprobe bonding mode=active-backup miimon=100
$ modprobe ib_ipoib
$ echo +ib0 > /sys/class/net/bond0/bonding/slaves
$ echo +ib1 > /sys/class/net/bond0/bonding/slaves
$ ifconfig bond0 10.10.5.62/16 up
$ ping 10.10.0.90 &
$ ifconfig ib0 down
$ dmesg | grep bonding

bonding: MII link monitoring set to 100 ms
bonding: bond0: doing slave updates when interface is down.
bonding: bond0: Adding slave ib0.
bonding bond0: master_dev is not up in bond_enslave
bonding: bond0: Warning: enslaved VLAN challenged slave ib0. Adding VLANs
will be blocked as long as ib0 is part of bond bond0
bonding: bond0: Warning: The first slave device specified does not support
setting the MAC address. Setting fail_over_mac to active.<6>bonding: bond0:
enslaving ib0 as a backup interface with a down link.
bonding: bond0: doing slave updates when interface is down.
bonding: bond0: Adding slave ib1.
bonding bond0: master_dev is not up in bond_enslave
bonding: bond0: Warning: enslaved VLAN challenged slave ib1. Adding VLANs
will be blocked as long as ib1 is part of bond bond0
bonding: bond0: enslaving ib1 as a backup interface with a down link.
bonding: bond0: link status definitely up for interface ib0.
bonding: bond0: making interface ib0 the new active one.
bonding: bond0: first active interface up!
bonding: bond0: link status definitely up for interface ib1.
bonding: bond0: link status definitely down for interface ib0, disabling it
bonding: bond0: making interface ib1 the new active one.