[ofa-general] opensm as service - cfg files

Philippe Gregoire philippe.gregoire at cea.fr
Wed Oct 29 08:12:05 PDT 2008

Sasha Khapyorsky a écrit :
> On 10:10 Mon 27 Oct     , Al Chu wrote:
>
>>> init scripts generally execute/source some configuration file located
>>> in /etc/sysconfig/ to set some variables used in the script. These
>>> variables can be used to distinguish pid filename and log filename for
>>> different opensm instances. If these variables are not defined in the
>>> conf file, they should be build from the parameter value e.g :
>>> opensm.log.ddn12 or opensm.pid.ddn12
>>>
>> My point was should the script automatically handle this, or is it the
>> user's responsibility to set everything up?  As Ira mentioned in a later
>> post, the console port is supposed to be at a known port value so users
>> know what port to connect to.  So is it wise for the script to auto-
>> magically select different different port values for different opensm
>> instances?  Personally I don't think so.
>>
>> I was initially thinking the init script could take command line
>> arguments that could be passed directly to the init.d scripts.  So for
>> example, you can say:
>>
>> service opensmd start "--config ddn.conf"
>> service opensmd start "--config lsi.conf"
>>
>> This puts alternate log file names and console port numbers into the
>> responsibility of the user.
>>

> Why to not just copy /etc/init.d/opensmd to let's say
> /etc/init.d/opensmd2? Sligthly edit this (add different config file,
> etc.).
>

> Sasha

Sasha, it is just what I want to avoid .
Depending on how the initial script is written, it will require big
modifications to execute without undesired interactions
(think about stopping one opensmd daemon )
Why not using a directory /etc/opensm.d , put all the config files in
this directory and let the script /etc/init.d/opensmd
starts one  daemon for each file if it is executed without argument and
only for the configuration file if tis given as an argument.
And let the system admin provide the good configuration file for
different instances.
If the script manages different pid files , you will be able to do:
service opensmd start
service opensmd  stop
to start and stop all the instances
or
service opensmd start ddn.conf
service opensmd stop ddn.conf
to start /stop the ddn instance using /etc/opensmd.d/ddn.conf
configuration file