[ofa-general] [opensm] remove qos_max_vls config??

Yevgeny Kliteynik kliteyn at dev.mellanox.co.il
Wed Oct 29 08:19:22 PDT 2008

Hal Rosenstock wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 29, 2008 at 5:13 AM, Yevgeny Kliteynik
> <kliteyn at dev.mellanox.co.il> wrote:
>> Al Chu wrote:
>>> Hey Sasha,
>>>
>>> I was working on a different bug fix on the qos config parsing, when I
>>> noticed the qos_*max_vls fields aren't used anywhere.  They seem to be
>>> parsed from the config, stored, and never used.  Maybe it used to be
>>> what 'max_op_vls' is now used for?
>> I guess that the initial idea was to have an option to configure
>> different operational VLs on different type of nodes in the subnet.
>> The question is, does having such option make sense?
>
> Does it impact buffering ? If so, in those cases it would be worth
> configuring (assuming it gets acted on elsewhere).

Right, it does impact buffering.
I think that OpenSM always sets the same op_vls on both sides of
the link (if there is a mismatch, SM will set the lowest value),
so we can have different num. of VLs on switch-2-switch links
and CA-2-switch links.
Not sure how much value does this ability add, but perhaps we need
to implement this configuration instead of removing the parameters...

-- Yevgeny