***SPAM*** Re: [ofa-general] [RFC] dropping RDS over TCP support

Or Gerlitz or.gerlitz at gmail.com
Tue Sep 2 14:48:53 PDT 2008

On Tue, Sep 2, 2008 at 11:04 PM, Andy Grover <andy.grover at oracle.com> wrote:

> We've been discussing dropping RDS's support for using TCP as a transport,
> and just focusing on RDS as a IB and iWARP-focused protocol.

do we have any results that compare Oracle IPC using rds/bcopy/tcp vs udp?

This would simplify the RDS codebase, allow easier inclusion of more
> IB-centric features, and also give RDS an easier path towards mainline Linux
> kernel inclusion. Also, the imminent RDS iWARP support will address non-IB
> use cases.

So just to make sure, do IB and iWARP  share the same transport code today?
if yes, does removing TCP means the transport abstraction would not be
needed any more, or you still want to maintain it for the loopback case?
Generally speaking, the loopback transport also uses IB, correct? and if it
doesn't I am quite sure it can.

I tend to agree with Jon that removing TCP might help with mainline
inclusion or might create damage...

Roland, maybe you have more definitive intuitions re the netdev people
potential feedback on rds as a new socket type applicable to RDMA cards such
as IB and iWARP using a verbs/rdmacm native transport AND to non RDMA cards
with TCP transport, vs the case of RDS being "just" a ULP under
drivers/infiniband/ulps that defines a new socket type, etc.

Or