[ofa-general] OpenSM Ubuntu-unfriendly

Christopher Tanner christopher.tanner at gatech.edu
Fri Sep 5 17:02:19 PDT 2008

I'm trying to start the OpenSM daemon at startup by putting the
opensmd file in the /etc/init.d directory. However, I get these errors
when it tries to start:

Starting opensm: /etc/init.d/opensmd: line 64: success: command not
found

/etc/init.d/opensmd: line 130: rc_exit: command not found

Looking at the opensmd script, I noticed some things:
a) It contains commands like rc_status, rc_exit, _rc_status_all which
are not valid commands in Debian/Ubuntu
b) It contains commands like success() and failure() which are not
valid in Debian/Ubuntu

I think these commands will work on Redhat or SUSE... Does anyone know
the equivalent commands in Debian?
For example, I think 'success' can be replaced with 'return 1', but
I'm not certain how that affects the script.

Thanks!

Chris Tanner
Space Systems Design Lab
Georgia Institute of Technology