[ofa-general] DM question

Hal Rosenstock hal.rosenstock at gmail.com
Mon Sep 8 13:24:08 PDT 2008

Hi Terry,

On Mon, Sep 8, 2008 at 2:33 PM, Terry Greeniaus
<tgree at relay.phys.ualberta.ca> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Our application, which we are porting to OFED, makes use of Device
> Management to both advertise and discover services on the network.  Our
> application uses the user-level MAD library and is currently able to
> perform DM queries on the subnet.  Unfortunately, in order to advertise
> DM services our application needs to be able to set the
> "isDeviceManagementSupported" bit on our local port's capabilityMask.  I
> don't see a way to do that from userspace in OFED.  This is critical for
> our application since without that bit set nobody else on the fabric
> will be able to use our services.
>
> Perhaps I have overlooked something?  If not, what would the recommended
> way of setting this bit in the capabilityMask be?

The only way I see to do this from user space is something like the following:

SubnGet PortInfo of local port
Set IsDeviceManagementSupport bit in PortInfo.CapabilityMask
Change any other PortInfo fields so set will work (LinkState
andPortPhysicalState set to no state change, don't think any others
need changing)
SubnSet PortInfo of local port (make sure set worked)

The downside is that if your application crashes you will need to have
a cleanup program to unset that bit.

Hope this helps.

-- Hal