[ofa-general] Compiled IB packages

Christopher Tanner christopher.tanner at gatech.edu
Mon Sep 8 22:08:00 PDT 2008

I am setting up a 16-node (homogeneous) cluster running Ubuntu 8.04
server with Mellanox Infiniband cards. I downloaded (from the
OpenFabrics website), compiled, and installed the following IB
packages on the master node into the /usr/local/lib directory. The /
usr/local directory is being shared to all of the nodes via NFS. All
packages seemed to compile and install fine.

libibverbs
librdmacm
libibcm
libipathverbs
dapl
compat-dapl
libmlx4
libmthca
libcxgb3
libibcommon
libibumad
libibmad
opensm
infiniband-diags

I have a few questions:
a) Do I need to run 'make install' on each node or just the master
node? All of the libraries in /usr/local/lib are visible to all
nodes... Stated another way, does 'make install' put files elsewhere
beside the /usr/local/lib directory? Does it alter OS configuration
files to tell it to look for certain files in /usr/local/lib?

b)  I know I need to load the IB kernel modules (mlx4_core, mlx4_ib,
rdma_ucm, ib_core, ib_mad, ib_mthca, ib_umad, ib_uverbs) in order for
the IB cards to work. Are these compiled and installed with the above
packages? Where does the kernel know where to look for modules?
(Sorry, this question is very similar to the first one).

c) The OFED software stack contains some stuff that isn't available
for source download (e.g. ib-bonding, ibsim, libsdp). Are these
necessary for the IB network to operate correctly? Since I'm running
Ubuntu, obviously the src.rpm file won't work...

Thanks to all for you help. Previous responses regarding issues with
OpenSM worked great.

Chris Tanner
Space Systems Design Lab
Georgia Institute of Technology