[ofa-general] ***SPAM*** Where can I find the topology file?

Yevgeny Kliteynik kliteyn at dev.mellanox.co.il
Sun Sep 14 13:51:38 PDT 2008

Hi Dhananjay,

dhananjay tembe wrote:
> Hi,
>      I am using ofed stack and opensm. I was running some ibtools
> like ibdiagnet and ibdiagpath. man page for ibdiagnet shows -t optiong
> using which you can specify the topology file. Will you please tell me
> what does this topology file contain and how can create/generate this topology file?
> Thanks in advance.

You can find many examples of the topology files in the "ibutils".
If you don't have the sources, you can pull git tree from here:
	git://staging.openfabrics.org/~orenk/ibutils

All the .topo files are topology files.

Here's a link to the web interface of the git repository:
	http://staging.openfabrics.org/git/?p=~orenk/ibutils.git;a=summary

And this is a link to the directory that contains all the .topo files:
	http://staging.openfabrics.org/git/?p=~orenk/ibutils.git;a=tree;f=ibmgtsim/tests;h=e8b2d97cddfa9a5e922c8b132fd98ec5e96dec39;hb=master

The topology file describes the hierarchical fabric topology.
It can be used as an input file to ibdiagnet, in which case
ibdiagnet will match the real fabric to the provided topology
file. It is useful when you build a cluster, and you want to
make sure that the cabling was done according to the original
plan. It will also make ibdiagnet log messages more "readable",
b/c ibdiagnet will use names from the topology file when reporting
issues.

The file can be also used as an input for ibmgtsim (IB management
simulator), in which case it describes the fabric that ibmgtsim
should simulate.

Topo files can be written by hand, and they can be generated from
the existing fabric by ibdiagnet, but then they will not have any
hierarchy of the subnet - they will be "flat", like the lst files.

-- Yevgeny