[ofa-general] ***SPAM*** fresh man want some help in intalling the OFED

vega vegalew at hotmail.com
Mon Sep 22 04:31:19 PDT 2008

Dear all,

I'm a freshman. There is a infiniband in our Computer Center. Unfortunately, the system administrator knowing
little about how to use infiniband correctly. But I want to use it, because my DFT calculation with openmpi run
in a very low efficiency without it
.
I have downloaded the OFED-1.3.1.tgz. then I unpack it using the command like this, tar -zxvf  OFED-1.3.1.tgz.
And I found intall.pl under the folder, run it using ./install.pl.
then I choose '2' and then '3'. Then I choose OFA and then yes for every thing and input a location for it.
After all above was done. The the programme said 'gcc-3.3.3 rpm is required to build libibverbs'.
I have checked my current gcc. I found my vision is 3.2.3, a liitle older.
How could I deal with this problem? Should I update the gcc to 3.3.3? if so, do you think root permissions is required?
Is there a way to finish all the installation without root permissions?  Do you think intel c++ compiler could
doing the same thing instead of gcc?

any hints will be deeply appreciated.

vega

Vega Lew (weijia liu)
PH.D Candidate in Chemical Engineering
State Key Laboratory of Materials-oriented Chemical Engineering
College of Chemistry and Chemical Engineering
Nanjing University of Technology, 210009, Nanjing, Jiangsu, China