[ofa-general] Allowing end-users to query for fabric information

Mike Heinz michael.heinz at qlogic.com
Mon Sep 22 11:42:08 PDT 2008

I recently noticed that OFED prohibits non-root users from doing sa
queries. This means that non-root users cannot, for example, diagnose
connectivity problems without the help of an administrator.

What was the reason for making this design choice? While I could
certainly provide boot scripts to change the permissions to
/dev/infiniband/umad*, I'd rather understand why the decision was made
to restrict access.

--
Michael Heinz
Principal Engineer, Qlogic Corporation