[ofa-general] atomic operations on ppc64

Rui Machado ruimario at gmail.com
Thu Sep 25 08:08:00 PDT 2008

2008/9/25 Ronni Zimmermann <ronniz at mellanox.co.il>:
> Rui Machado wrote:
>> add and comp and swap) on PPC64 all the time, without
>> experiencing any problem.

>> operations, on our PPC64 machines, both with SLES10 SP1 and
>> with RHAS5.1, and all of them passed.
>> with the latest released FW and with FW 2.3.000 (on the
>> SLES10 SP1 machine).

>> a problem with your code (although looking at the code you
>> posted I couldn't see anything wrong) or it's an OFED1.2.5
>> issue, as Dotan suggested.
>> >>

>> OK thanks for the feedback. We have ppc64 machines with mlx4
>> and mthca0 (from ibv_devinfo) ) Both don't work. Any
>> experience with the mthca0? It is older and should be better
>> supported on 1.2.5 or?
>> My priority is the machines with the mlx4 but of course I
>> would like to see both working.
>>
> Sorry, I have no experience with mthca0 on PPC64 machines.
> It is indeed an older HCA, but I don't know weather or not it's working
> properly on PPC64 with ofed 1.2.5.
>
>> I also tried with a 2.6.26.2 kernel (had it at hand) with the same
>> ofed1.2.5 installation and still see the problem.
>> I guess my last and longest try to install the whole ofed 1.4 package.
>>

> Please bear in mind that OFED 1.4 is RC2 and will probably be GA by the
> end of October.
> If installing a new driver on youe machine is a big problem for you, and
> you don't need the new features supported by ofed 1.4 and not by ofed
> 1.3.1, maybe it'll be better for you to install ofed 1.3.1, which is
> already GA.

Actually I just tried with ofed 1.4 and still see the problem :(
I think I installed it correctly with a 2.6.26.2 kernel although I see
the warning:
libibverbs: Warning: couldn't load driver 'mthca': libmthca-rdmav2.so:
A small example using RDMA read is working.

I just wanted to see if the problem exists with 1.4 even if it is a
RC. Probably I will install 1.3.1 when I solve this problem. And I
really need to solve it!

> We also recommend that you updgrade the FW in your mlx4 HCAs to the
> latest released FW, which is 2.5.000, since your current FW is quite
> old.

from http://www.mellanox.com/support/firmware_table_IBM.php I see a
2.3.000 version
Isn't this then the latest for my hw?

hca_id: mlx4_0
       fw_ver:                         2.3.000
       node_guid:                      0002:c903:0000:917c
       sys_image_guid:                 0002:c903:0000:917f
       vendor_id:                      0x02c9
       vendor_part_id:                 25418
       hw_ver:                         0xA0
       board_id:                       IBM08A0000001           <-------------