[ofa-general] general questions about librdmacm

Woodruff, Robert J robert.j.woodruff at intel.com
Fri Sep 26 15:56:58 PDT 2008

Steve wrote,

(www.openais.org)
>which implements a network protocol called Totem.  This code is the
>basis for much of the community work on clustering in Linux and other
>platforms.  I don't yet have hardware, but will shortly and intend to
>add OFED RDMA support to the base Totem protocol used for our
>communications.

>Totem is a reliable virtual synchrony multicast protocol which
transmits
>a message from any node to all nodes in a collection of computers
>(called the configuration or membership).  It has a few requirements:

>unreliable datagram multicast
>unreliable datagram unicast
>ability to bind to a specific port and interface
>ability to poll() (POLLIN) via system call for new multicast datagram
>messages

>Today Totem is based upon IP(v4 or v6 are supported) and uses UDP.

>Few questions:
>1)  I would like to continue to use IP addressing but it looks like I
>have to use a different addressing model in librdmacm.  I looked at the
>examples in the library and it isn't clear to me whether they use IP
>addressing or some other addressing model.  I see references to
IPoverIB
>but I don't see any information in the wiki on the topic.  Anyone have
>links to documentation on the topic of node addressing?

>2)  The library doesn't have any non blocking (kernel wait queue based)
>polling mechanism that I can see.  Am I missing a call here?

>3)  Of course using the standard socket API would be highly desired as
>it requires less code changes.  Is there some other library I should be
>using?

>Regards
>-steve

He steve,

Just adding Arlin Davis to this thread in case he missed it.
Arlin is covering for Sean Hefty (the rdma_cm) maintainer while
Sean is on Sabbatical. Arlin also maintains uDAPL, a middleware that
supports access closer to the native verbs than IPoIB, but uses a
different programming model. There is also something called RDS,
reliable datagram service that Oracle maintains that might fit your
application model a little better.

woody