[ofa-general] MVAPICH_GCC seems incompatible with (RedHat)gcc-4.1.2-44

Doug Ledford dledford at redhat.com
Mon Apr 6 08:52:36 PDT 2009

On Apr 6, 2009, at 11:44 AM, Guido Passet wrote:
> Dear Doug,
>
> Doug Ledford wrote:
>> On Apr 2, 2009, at 11:22 AM, Guido Passet wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Jonathan, many thanks for looking in to this.
>>>
>>> Both mvapich-1.1 and mvapich2-1.2p1 seem to build fine from source.
>>> My guess is that the logic in the OFED wrapper build scripts are
>>> somehow
>>> confused.
>>
>> Most likely the problem has nothing to do with the gcc version.
>> The Red
>> Hat supplied mvapich and mvapich2 packages (new for RHEL5.3) are not
>> named mvapich_gcc and mvapich2_gcc, but instead just plain old
>> mvapich
>> and mvapich2.  Since we don't ship anything but the gcc version, the
>> distinction is moot in our packages.
>
> You could be right about this not being an GCC version problem,
> however
> I am not using the RedHat supplied packages but I am trying to build
> all
> mvapich/mvapich2/openmpi against all available compilers using the
> OFED
> stack.

Right.  My point was if the OFED install.pl script thinks that having
mvapich installed means installing mvapich_gcc, as you probably
already have Red Hat's plain mvapich installed, there is a good chance
you might get file conflicts or other problems attempting to install
mvapich_gcc, so it would never get installed, so install.pl would
crash out.  If you change install.pl to expect just plain mvapich/
mvapich2 for the gcc versions, it might just magically start working
(although using our packages, not the OFED packages).

--

Doug Ledford <dledford at redhat.com>

GPG KeyID: CFBFF194
http://people.redhat.com/dledford