***SPAM*** Re: [ofa-general] Any easy way to specify to the SM to route/zone?

Hal Rosenstock hal.rosenstock at gmail.com
Mon Apr 13 06:43:36 PDT 2009

On Mon, Apr 13, 2009 at 9:37 AM, Chris Worley <worleys at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 13, 2009 at 5:39 AM, Hal Rosenstock
> <hal.rosenstock at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Sun, Apr 12, 2009 at 11:01 PM, Chris Worley <worleys at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> I have a system w/ multipe IB cards, two ports each... I'm only
>>> getting ~1.6GB/s out per port, so I need to use multiple ports.
>>>
>>> I can't use IB bonding, as the scst package that I'm using that works
>>> reliably isn't compatible w/ OFED 1.4, but it performs very well w/
>>> the RHEL5.2 built-in drivers... but bonding isn't supported in RHEL5.2
>>> (afaik).
>>>
>>> I figured I could use IPoIB subnets and zone specific ports to
>>> specific clients/initiators... but the SM doesn't respect IPoIB routes
>>> (bring down a subnet's interface on the target, and the client can
>>> still ping one of the target's other interfaces, even though the
>>> client isn't configured on the same subnet).
>>>
>>> So I need to tell the SM to route specific ports on the server/target
>>> to specific clients/initiators.
>>>
>>> Is there any way to do this?
>>
>> Do you mean restrict access between certain clients/servers ?
>
> One server w/ 4QDR boards, 16 clients with one QDR board.  I want each
> port on the server routed/zoned to two clients.
>
>> If so,
>> you can do this with partitioning
>
> What is partitioning?

A partition is a collection of ports which are allowed to communicate
together. There are two forms of members: full members which can talk
to any other member (useful for servers) and limited members which can
only talk to full members (useful for clients). See the opensm man
page or partition-config.txt on setting this up for OpenSM.

-- Hal