[ofa-general] OFED version for RHEL/CentOS 5.3?

Pär Andersson paran at nsc.liu.se
Fri Apr 17 16:59:53 PDT 2009

Hello,

Our main academic cluster (805 nodes, ConnectX 4x DDR) is currently
running CentOS 5.2 with a self-compiled OFED 1.3.1. I am preparing an
upgrade of the compute nodes to CentOS 5.3 and is trying to decide what
IB stack to use.

All IB packages included in CentOS 5.3 seems to be newer than our
current OFED 1.3.1, at least according to the RPM version numbers. Do
you know which OFED release the 5.3 packages is based on?

The options I am considering is:

* Keep our current OFED 1.3.1 packages, just rebuild kernel-ib.
* Switch to the packages included in CentOS 5.3.
* Build and install OFED 1.4.
* Something else that I haven't thought about.

Any suggestions or recommendations are welcome.

How compatible is 1.4 with 1.3, if we should install that? Will MPI
libraries and other applications continue to work or need to be recompiled?

Best regards,

--
Pär Andersson
National Supercomputer Centre, Sweden