[ofa-general] Re: New proposal for memory management

Jason Gunthorpe jgunthorpe at obsidianresearch.com
Tue Apr 28 21:03:29 PDT 2009

On Tue, Apr 28, 2009 at 09:10:35PM -0400, Jeff Squyres wrote:

> The conversation needs to start somewhere.  MPI is verbs' biggest
> customer; this is a major pain point for all of us.  Can't we fix it?
> Do you need something more than a specific use case and API proposal
> to start the conversation?  No one has money to travel travel; the bi-
> weekly EWG call is for discussing bugs.  What other vehicle do you
> suggest for this discussion?

I've often wondered, wouldn't it just be fine for MPI if the entire
process address space is kept pinned, registered and consistent with
the HCA? The process would opt in to this behavior during MPI
startup. Similar in spirit to the all physical memory registration the
kernel can do.

That seems like a much more straightfoward problem than trying to fit
the fairly incompatible verbs registration API and the MPI API together.

Jason