[ofa-general] New proposal for memory management

Jeff Squyres jsquyres at cisco.com
Thu Apr 30 13:03:18 PDT 2009

On Apr 30, 2009, at 1:51 PM, Barrett, Brian W wrote:

> All we want is *SOMETHING* we can do that we know is safe.

This is the most important thing.  +1

> The registration cache seems like the safest,

+100

> but the notifier would be better than where we are today if we can
> get the important race conditions out of it.

+0.1.  Yes, it would work, and I agree that it would be marginally
better than what we have today.  IMHO, it seems like fixing this Right
would be better than "let's do a possibly simpler but sub-optimal
solution."

> The current state of the field is unacceptably stupid and I'm actually
> amazed there's any resistance to fixing the problem.

I'm a little amazed that it's gone this long without being fixed (I
know I spoke about this exact issue at Sonoma 3 years ago!).

--
Jeff Squyres
Cisco Systems