[ofa-general] IB kernel modules and the kobject release() method

Bart Van Assche bart.vanassche at gmail.com
Thu Aug 6 12:29:43 PDT 2009

On Thu, Aug 6, 2009 at 9:22 PM, Roland Dreier<rdreier at cisco.com> wrote:

>  > Next I started (/etc/init.d/openibd start; /etc/init.d/opensmd start)
>  > and then stopped (/etc/init.d/opensmd stop; /etc/init.d/openibd stop)
>  > the IB subsystem. The "broken" message was logged during module unload
>  > only, not during module load.
>
> Oh I see... yes I get it on unload too, for any module.  Seems like a
> shortcoming in the kobject debugging code.

Are you sure that this indicates a shortcoming in the kobject
debugging code ? The most recent messages related to the message "does
not have a release() function, it is broken and must be fixed" I could
find on the LKML date from July 16, 2009
(http://lkml.org/lkml/2009/7/16/306 and
http://lkml.org/lkml/2009/7/16/391). As you can see Greg KH
acknowledges that if this message is logged that this indicates a
problem that should be fixed.

Bart.