[ofa-general] Opinions on moving Linux InfiniBand/RDMA mailing list to vger?

Roland Dreier rdreier at cisco.com
Thu Aug 20 15:00:14 PDT 2009

Lately, I've had a few emails that I thought would have been of interest
to both lkml and also to general at lists.openfabrics.org.  I've held back
on cross-posting them because I know that general@ is subscribers-only,
and the bounce messages are quite annoying to replies coming from lkml.

The general@ list is subscribers-only because the openfabrics.org
sysadmin team is already overworked without trying to keep an open list
spam free.  (I say that with no intention to criticize the
openfabrics.org admins -- they do a terrific job of keeping things
running with the limited resources available; it's more a testament to
how impressive the vger mailing list admins are)

I've also noticed one or two messages about the possibility of moving
another moderated list to vger.  Certainly I prefer open lists that
don't require subscriptions to post.

So with that background, what would people think about creating an open
vger list (say, linux-rdma at vger.kernel.org) to carry the discussion
currently on general at lists.openfabrics.org?  (The transition plan would
probably be to keep the general@ list for a month or two, with frequent
announcements of the new list, until archives etc. have caught up with
the switch)

Thanks,
  Roland