[ofa-general] Update on Roland's ummunotify kernel module

Jeff Squyres jsquyres at cisco.com
Fri Aug 21 07:44:47 PDT 2009

Roland has pushed his new Linux "ummunotify" kernel upstream (i.e.,
it's in his -next git branch):

http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/roland/infiniband.git;a=commit;h=2fadea9acc19674c07ae7a9d90758f4b9b793940

It's not yet guaranteed that it will be accepted, but it looks good so
far.  With some bug fixes from Pasha/Mellanox and Lenny+Mike/Voltaire,
I think it's ready for wide-spread testing (I mailed some OMPI
community members yesterday asking for specific testing).  I'm asking
all MPI implementors to give the prototype code a whirl to shake out
any remaining design bugs.  Others are welcome to review the design
concepts and code as well; the more eyes, the better.  Bug fixes are
easy later; design flaws are [much] better to be fixed now.

I describe the issue that we're fixing in my new MPI-themed blog:

    http://blogs.cisco.com/ciscotalk/performance/comments/better_linux_memory_tracking

The HG where this OMPI work is being done is here:

    http://bitbucket.org/jsquyres/ummunot/

You need to have a very recent Linux kernel (2.6.31+) and Roland's
umunotify module installed/running.  Build the OMPI HG tree with the
"--enable-mca-no-build=memory-ptmalloc2" to disable ptmalloc2 and
enable the ummunotify stuff.

This hack-ish "disable ptmalloc2" step is only necessary while we're
shaking out the design issues.  I'm halfway through merging the ummunot
+ptmalloc2 code into a new opal/mca/memory component named "linux".
This component will choose at run time whether to use ptmalloc2 or the
ummunotify stuff (i.e., the --enable-mca-no-build... step won't be
necessary when all is said and done; a default OMPI Linux build will
do the Right Things).

Thanks.

--
Jeff Squyres