[ofa-general] IPoIB connected vs datagram

Aaron Knister aaron.knister at gmail.com
Thu Aug 27 08:41:40 PDT 2009

Thanks for the reply!

Good to know about the "true" MTU vs the synthetic mtu. I wasn't aware of
that.

The NFS is NFS over TCP and the read/write sizes are both set to 32768.

I don't have any routes that I know of on the IB fabric- a traceroute seemed
to verify this. I used tracepath to show me the mtu information between the
two hosts. On the second attempt it looks like it "discovered" the correct
MTU -

[root at headnode ~]# tracepath thumper1-ib
 1:  headnode (10.0.1.1)                       0.133ms pmtu 65520
 1:  thumper1-ib (10.0.1.245)                0.161ms reached
     Resume: pmtu 2044 hops 1 back 1
[root at headnode ~]# tracepath thumper1-ib
 1:  headnode (10.0.1.1)                       0.122ms pmtu 2044
 1:  thumper1-ib (10.0.1.245)                0.121ms reached
     Resume: pmtu 2044 hops 1 back 1

We rebooted the infiniband switch which cleared up the NFS issues for now.
The one thing I noticed after the reboot was that the solars storage servers
were back in the multicast group (saquery -m). It's definitely an odd
situation...

Thanks again for your help

On Thu, Aug 27, 2009 at 11:26 AM, Nifty Tom Mitchell <niftyompi at niftyegg.com