[ofa-general] Enabling IP_CM warns about multicast packet drops

Olga Shern (Voltaire) olga.shern at gmail.com
Wed Feb 11 06:34:32 PST 2009

Hi Summet,

You can read from the ipoib release notes:
"If IPoIB connected mode is enabled, it uses a large MTU for connected mode
   messages and a small MTU for datagram (in particular, multicast) messages,
   and relies on path MTU discovery to adjust MTU appropriately. Packets sent
   in the window before MTU discovery automatically reduces the MTU for a
   specific destination will be dropped, producing the following message in the
   system log:
   "packet len <actual length> (> <max allowed length>) too long to
send, dropping"

   To warn about this, a message is produced in the system log each time MTU is
   set to a value higher than 2K."

Olga