[ofa-general] I'm not going to fix stupid problems in patches any more

Roland Dreier rdreier at cisco.com
Sun Jan 4 20:49:39 PST 2009

Maybe I'm just in a cranky mood after the holidays, but I'm fed up with
spending my time fixing stupid problems with patches sent to me.  It
seems the only way that I can teach people is to reject patches.  So if
you send me a patch that I can't apply because of some formatting
problem that you should never have made, I'm just going to tell you so
and ask you to resend the patch.

So if checkpatch.pl spots obvious problems with your patch, or if you
format your email so that I have to edit out duplicate subject lines or
other crap from the body, or if there are any of the innumerable other
problems I complain about over and over, then that patch doesn't get
applied.

I'm not talking about grammatical errors in the changelog or anything
like that; a few honest mistakes here and there I can live with.  But if
you don't even try to give a changelog that gives enough information for
me to evaluate your patch, and also enough for someone reading the patch
a few years from now to have a chance at understanding it, expect me to
bounce it back to you.

If you learn to use tools like git-send-email or whatever other
automation you prefer, sending patches properly should actually be less
work for you too.  So in addition to saving my time and improving my
mood, this should also save your time as well (aside from the time spent
learning the tools).

Thanks!
  Roland