[ofa-general] building just kernel-ib{-devel} and not being root

Brian J. Murrell brian at sun.com
Tue Jan 6 11:47:21 PST 2009

I am wondering if there is a generally supported (or otherwise) way of
taking a pristine source tarball (i.e. OFED-1.4.tgz) and unpacking and
building just the kernel-ib{-devel} packages with a set of option
selections.

The idea here is to drop something into an automated build system that
builds these packages.  Previously I have just called rpmbuild on the
ofa_kernel.spec file directly with a boatload of options.  I'm feeling
like this is not quite future-proof and looking for a more supported
method of achieving this.

One of the caveats is that the normal build and install process of the
install.pl won't work for me.  I cannot be root on the build system (and
therefore cannot install packages).

Any ideas?

Thanx,
b.