[ofa-general] installing ofed-1.4

Markus Uhlmann markus.uhlmann at ifh.uka.de
Wed Jan 14 10:16:29 PST 2009

Thanks Vladimir & Guy.

Since there was no echo on this list for a few days, I went ahead and
installed a 2.6.24 kernel (with debian patches). Installing ofed-1.4
(not latest) then went more or less okay (small problem: when building
"mpitest" for mvapich-1, the path in the script "mpicc" was wrong: it
contained the temporary build directory's path, but the files were
already installed in the final install directory; this could be fixed
manually). That installation seems to work (the speed is not right,
though; e.g. the OSU benchmarks seem somewhat off).

Another small thing i noticed: is it correct that I manually need to
remove the infiniband-related modules already loaded from the "stock"
kernel(i.e. "rmmod" on ib_mthca,ib_mad,ib_core,mlx4_core) before
running "/etc/init.d/openibd start" ???

>Hello Markus,
>Please send me the full rpmbuild log file (can be found under
>/tmp/OFED.xxxxxx).

Sorry, apparently I did not conserve the original log files under
"/tmp". I should have saved them. Actually, I tried to submit to
bugzilla - as indicated - but it would have been one long copy-paste,
since there was no way to attach a file!

> From the log above, I see that the kernel version is *2.6.18-6-amd64*,
>while required
>modules installed under
>/var/tmp/OFED_topdir/BUILD/ofa_kernel-1.4/lib/modules/*2.6.18*/extra.
>Do you have KVERSION or MODULES_DIR environment variables defined?

No, these variables are not defined.

Anyway, I appreciate your effort in the debian direction.

Cheers,

MU