[ofa-general] QP needs a lot of memory

Philip Frey1 PHF at zurich.ibm.com
Wed Jan 21 00:27:28 PST 2009

> >> I am running OFED 1.4 on a Chelsio T3 RNIC.
> >> When I was trying to connect a large number of clients (several
hundred),
> >> I noticed that the server was running out of memory. One instance of
> >> whenever I do an rdma_create_qp(), I lose about 7MB of main memory.
> >> This severly limits the scalability of my application.
> >>
> >> Is there a reason for that?
> >>

> > The amount of memory needed per QP is based on the send and
> receive queue sizes,
> > plus the number of SGEs.  I don't know specific details about the
Chelsio
> > adapter itself to know if 7MB is high or not.
> >

> That seems very high.  A T3 max depth QP should only use around 256KB of

> dma coherent memory.   The max depth CQ should be around 256KB too.  So
> something whacked if its consuming 7MB per QP...
>
> How are you measuring this memory usage?

I measured it using the vmstat command. The 7MB are only a rough
estimation.
Since I was not aware of the fact that the size of a QP object is
depending on
the max QP init attrs, I assigned the highest possible values for each
(16384 send WRs, 1023 recv WRs, 4 SGEs for send and recv each). When
reducing
these numbers to what is actually needed (2 send WRs, 2 recv WRs and 1 SGE
each),
the QP size shrank significantly and I was able to create many more QPs.

Thanks,
 Philip