[ofa-general] NetEffect, iw_nes and kernel warning

Eilon Greenstein eilong at broadcom.com
Fri Jan 30 00:22:42 PST 2009

On Thu, 2009-01-29 at 22:57 -0800, Herbert Xu wrote:
> Roland Dreier <rdreier at cisco.com> wrote:
> >
> > OK, thanks... what confused me is that several other drivers also do
> > skb_linearize() in their hard_start_xmit method... eg bnx2x,
> > via-velocity, mv643xx_eth.  So there are several other lurking bugs to
> > deal with here I guess.
>
> I don't know about the rest but bnx2x is certainly OK since it
> only does so with IRQ enabled.  It is legal to call skb_linearize
> as long as you're sure that IRQs are enabled, which is always the
> case for hard_start_xmit upon entry.
>
> So the only time you can't call it in hard_start_xmit is if you've
> just disabled IRQs yourself.

Thanks Herbert,

That was my conclusion too and even though I was still looking at it
since this report yesterday - it still looks OK to me. The bnx2x is
getting into this flow when using SAMBA and it was tested on few systems
for days under traffic - this does not mean that the code is right and
it is not a prove that there is no bug - but it makes me feel better...

I would appreciate some comments if someone still thinks this is a bug.

Thanks,
Eilon