[ofa-general] IPoIB in Xen guest machine

Titov Alexander titoff.a at gmail.com
Fri Jun 5 06:00:32 PDT 2009

2009/6/5 Hal Rosenstock <hal.rosenstock at gmail.com>

> On Fri, Jun 5, 2009 at 4:06 AM, Titov Alexander <titoff.a at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > Hello,
> > I work in VDS hosting provider and we want increase our bandwidth with
> > Infiniband. I make Infiniband test stand with two machines with
> > Mellanox MT26428, switch MTS3600 and SLES11 with Xen.
> > How can I connect ip network over IB to Xen guest machine?
> > I see two ways:
> > 1) I use Qlogic VNIC and bridge virtual xen interface with VNIC ethernet.
> It
> > isn't true way, because data transfers with great overhead ( Maybe I
> > mistake?).
> > I try this way and I receve error  bad MAD status (110) from lid 0 from
> > command  ib_qlgc_vnic_query. I try it with OFED and SLES11, Qlogic OFED+
> and
> > SLES10SP2, Mellanox OFED and SLES10SP2. I get this error for all
> > configurations.
>
> Is an SM running in the IB subnet ?

Yes, OpenSM is running.

> > 2) I use IPoIB with Ethernet IB bridge (gateway). But I found about it
> only
> > few phrases on openfabrics site. (for
> > example http://www.openfabrics.org/OFAReport/article4.htm ). Where can I
> > find this code?
> > Can you suggest me best solution?
>
> I think there are a few general approaches for IP connectivity between
> IB and ethernet:
>
> 1. Gateways (Voltaire has one, QLogic may (I forget))
> 2. VNIC approaches (QLogic, Xsigo, maybe others)
> 3. Use linux box as IP router with ethernet and IPoIB interfaces
>
> What's best depends on your specific requirements.

Thank You. But you don't understand me enough.

I wrote about Xen host machine (Dom0) and Xen guest machine (DomU). I need
connect infiniband  interface in Dom0 and virtual ethernet interface in
Dom0. Usually its makes with ethernet bridge, but this bridge cannot work
with infiniband logical. I thought that VNIC is best solution for us. But I
want hear about alternative solution.

> -- Hal
>
> > --
> > Best regards,