[ofa-general] Re: [ewg] RFC: Do we wish to take MPI out of OFED?

Pavel Shamis (Pasha) pashash at gmail.com
Tue Jun 9 06:49:44 PDT 2009

>>> - MPI is an important RDMA ULP and although it is not developed in OFA
>>> it is widely used by OFED customers
>>>
>> I guess that MPI users are the widest OFED user community and including
>> MPI as part of OFED definitely simplify
>> end-user live.
>>

> I've heard this argument more than once now and I don't agree. MPI
> installation is at our site de-coupled from the OFED installation (for quite
> a few reasons such as, different compilers, multiple versions,
> RM-integration, ...).
>
> I'm sure there are quite a few that do use the OFED shipped MPIs but I'm
> equally certain I'm far from alone in building MPI on the side.

We do not force user to use the only MPI that is shipped with OFED.
You may use your own customization build and it is ok.

But I do not see how including MPI as part of OFED make the end user
installation
more complicated or problematic.
The excluding of MPI from OFED, will only push users to use vendor
specific OFED builds (that provides MPI out of box)
 and I'm not sure that it is good for OFED community.

Pasha.