[ofa-general] Re: Installing OFED 1.4.1 in XenServer

Ross Smith myxiplx at googlemail.com
Thu Jun 25 03:41:26 PDT 2009

Ok, Infiniband is working fine with XenServer, but I'm getting poor
performance from NFS so want to try NFS-RDMA.

It doesn't look like the default install has included this, so I could
do with some help getting this running.

My first attempt was to run install.pl again, and choose all modules.
That needed some more prerequisites,  so I installed pciutils-devel,
tcl-devel, tk and tcsh.  However building all with install.pl now
fails with the error:

"Failed to build ofa_kernel RPM
See /tmp/OFED.10263.logs/ofa_kernel.rpmbuild.log"

I then tried a custom build, but no matter what I tried, it didn't
seem to register that I had chosen nfs-rdma (I'm guessing though that
it's included in kernel-ib and just isn't shown on the confirmation
screen).  However, the custom build also ended with that same error,
even after I removed the extre prerequisites.

I eventually did get it to build, but I don't remember which pieces I
picked from the custom build, and there are so many I don't actually
know which I do or don't need.  I also now can't work out which .rpm
file it created for nfsrdma.

Can anybody help me understand what I need to do to get the .rpm for
nfsrdma so I can install it on the live server for testing?  All I
want are the default modules plus nfsrdma.

thanks,

Ross

PS.  In case it helps, the last 20 lines of that error log are:

# tail /tmp/OFED.10263.logs/ofa_kernel.rpmbuild.log -n 20
                 from
/var/tmp/OFED_topdir/BUILD/ofa_kernel-1.4.1/drivers/infiniband/ulp/qlgc_vnic/vnic_main.c:35:
include/linux/sysctl.h:58:1: warning: this is the location of the
previous definition
In file included from
/var/tmp/OFED_topdir/BUILD/ofa_kernel-1.4.1/drivers/infiniband/ulp/qlgc_vnic/vnic_viport.h:38,
                 from
/var/tmp/OFED_topdir/BUILD/ofa_kernel-1.4.1/drivers/infiniband/ulp/qlgc_vnic/vnic_main.c:46:
/var/tmp/OFED_topdir/BUILD/ofa_kernel-1.4.1/drivers/infiniband/ulp/qlgc_vnic/vnic_multicast.h:49:
error: redefinition of 'struct mc_info'
make[4]: *** [/var/tmp/OFED_topdir/BUILD/ofa_kernel-1.4.1/drivers/infiniband/ulp/qlgc_vnic/vnic_main.o]
Error 1
make[3]: *** [/var/tmp/OFED_topdir/BUILD/ofa_kernel-1.4.1/drivers/infiniband/ulp/qlgc_vnic]
Error 2
make[2]: *** [/var/tmp/OFED_topdir/BUILD/ofa_kernel-1.4.1/drivers/infiniband]
Error 2
make[1]: *** [_module_/var/tmp/OFED_topdir/BUILD/ofa_kernel-1.4.1] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory
`/usr/src/kernels/2.6.18-128.1.6.el5.xs5.5.0.496.1012xen-i686'
make: *** [kernel] Error 2

RPM build errors:
    user vlad does not exist - using root
    group vlad does not exist - using root