[ofa-general] link width problem of Qlogic 9024 unmanaged switch

Yicheng Jia YJia at tmriusa.com
Wed Mar 4 09:08:49 PST 2009

Hi,

I am running into a performance issue while I am doing OpenSM restart test
with Qlogic 9024 24-ports unmanaged switch. In my test environment, 5
nodes with Mellanox HCAs directly connect with the switch. During each
test iteration, all nodes reboot and then OpenSM starts to initiate the
subnet.

The problem I experience is that some time during OpenSM initiates, some
ports are reporting 1x link width (I turn on debug option of OpenSM), thus
the data transfer performance drops down significantly. I believe it's not
cable/physics connection issue because the 1x link width port randomly
occurs in different ports, and if I use Flextronics unmanaged switch, the
problem is gone.

I am wondering if anyone experiences the same problem before, any hint of
how to fix it?

Thanks!

Yicheng Jia