[ofa-general] RE: tcp/rdma port unification patch in librdmacm

Or Gerlitz ogerlitz at voltaire.com
Wed Mar 11 00:27:23 PDT 2009

Sean Hefty wrote:
> I thought about that, but didn't know whether it was in use.  I agree that
> existing apps shouldn't break.  (I was thinking more along the lines of adding a
> new call that would make this behavior explicit, but haven't taken the time to
> really study the details.)

Yes, lets not break existing apps such as stgt. I'm fine with adding new
call.

> Does anyone know if a kernel patch to fix this has been accepted directly into
> the distros?

Sorry, but I wasn't sure to follow what you mean by "fix this" ... did
you refer to kernel apps that don't use different port numbers for their
TCP vs RDMA listeners, or you referred to the rdma_cm patch which is not
merged into mainline?

> Also, does anything keep MPI from doing exactly what we're discussing in the
> application as part of using the librdmacm?  (Besides having all apps duplicate this

no, nothing prevents an app to open/bound a socket as long as the port
is available and its ulimit allow to open the number of sockets it
wants. This actually somehow brings me back to square one with regard to
the actual problem, so I'll ask you guys a question as a reply to
earlier post on this thread...

Or.